Inline text tags
- <abbr> abbreviation
- <b> boldface
- <del> deleted test - shown with a strikethrough
- <em> italics and spoken with an emphasis
- <i> italics
- <q> short quotation
- <span> generic tag for applying css code
- <strong> bold and spoken strongly
Inline elements stay on the same line. To go to a new line one needs to use <br> when using inline elements.
block text tags
- <address> contact information (physical address)
- <h1> to <h6> headings
- <li> list items this appears between either ol or ul blocks
- <ol> ordered lists
- <p> paragraph
- <ul> unordered lists
each new block item forces the information to appear on a new line when the page is viewed.
When using the abbr tag one can use it with title= to define the abbreviation with a mouse over i.e.
<abbr title="International Business Machines>IBM</abbr>
When title is used one needs to add an ending </abbr>